What tools do you NEED for teaching? Seriously... I am not asking about sharpies, glue, scissors, batteries, etc. What actual tools do you use in your classroom on a regular basis?
My first year teaching, I had to borrow a fellow teacher's tool set often. I used it so often that my hubs bought be my own for Christmas that year.
(I seriously ask for and get items for school for Christmas.)
Here is my tool kit.
Here is my tool kit.
I wish I had known what tools teachers needed and why before my first year, so I am sharing with you now.
1. Screwdrivers- flat and a Phillips head- you will need them to change out batteries of Leapster and many other electronic devices. I keep a good one in my tool kit and a small one in my desk with my batteries. I have also use them to open gallons of paint, hang hooks back up, and tighten cheapo kid watches back together. Keep a small set around for any kid with glasses too.
2. Hammer- I use a hammer to hang cork boards, picture frames, and countless other things. I also close gallons of paint. I have also needed it to nail shelves together to fix them or ply a loose nail out of wood.
3. Tape Measure- I don't use this for my students' height, but I could. I use to when organizing and moving furniture and creating my hallway displays (I need to write some of the sizes down so I don't have to keep remeasuring!) I also use it to measure my bulletin boards for fabric, my door for paper, and desks for finding the center before taping nameplates down. It is also handy to pull out during our measuring unit.
4. Pliers- things get stuck... a lot... trust me on this one and get it.
5. Nails- I keep a small container of nails, carpet tacks, and such in my bag. I use the nails for LOTS of things like repairing shelves, magnet center, and crafts/gifts for adults. I use the carpet tacks to attach things to the back of cubbies without it going in as far as a nail.
6. A ladder... on your hall- I brought in an old ladder to set my room up during my first year. It was light and easy to use. Needless to say it was so popular by EVERYONE that I moved the ladder to the custodian's closet and everyone uses it all the time!!!
What tools do you use that I should add to this list?